Saturday, August 24, 2013

Outpost

Outpost (Razorland, #2)Author: Ann Aguirre
Release Date:  September 4th, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends 
Genre(s): YA Dystopian  
Pages: 317
*Part of a Series: 2nd book*

Summary (Goodreads):
Down below, she was considered an adult. Now, topside in a town called Salvation, she’s a brat in need of training in the eyes of the townsfolk. She doesn't fit in with the other girls: Deuce only knows how to fight.

To make matters worse, her Hunter partner, Fade, keeps Deuce at a distance. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.
Deuce signs up to serve in the summer patrols—those who make sure the planters can work the fields without danger. It should be routine, but things have been changing on the surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks have grown smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning. The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it may take a girl like Deuce to turn back the tide.


~ Some Minor Spoilers~
(Highlight the page if you want to see them)

Review: 
 EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
*Give me a moment here… or two.. or three*
Ok, fangirl moment over;)

      I always, always do this (probably because Fangirl takes over in that moment I finish a book) but I revise my old rating to 3.5  stars.

      I really love this book.  A ton.  (If you can't tell already...;))  Ann is a brilliant writer, hands down.  She describes everything so well, in a few words, and she really has a way of keeping you on your toes.(*laments over cliffhanger*) 

      Deuce's voice is SO clear.  I can still see the remnants of that brutal but naive Huntress from underground slipping through at times, but at the same time, she's changing and learning to be a girl.  She even goes as far to tell us about the girl within her and the Huntress.  I thought this was absolutely brilliant because it's ironic, and a perfect way to show her duality with herself.  And when she finally comes to terms that she isn't just a girl or a Huntress, but just herself, I loved still what she did next.  She didn't accept that right away, even when she's accepted it.  (Weird sentence, I know!)  That was just the beginning, and I know by the end of the next book, we're going to have a different Deuce altogether.   This is credit to Ann's brilliant writing.  She is a master at character developments.  Not just Deuce's, but Stalker, Fade, and Teagan too.  The wound between Stalker and Teagan is healing.  Even though it seems rushed and highly unlikely that the wound would even begin to close,  it is a good way to show how Teagan is healing- though I thought it could have been done a different way. (She’s made peace with her rapist…um ok.  There’s nothing wrong with forgiveness, but I felt them joking around near the end was way too fast for anything that close.  It takes time-especially in something like rape- to truly forgive and build a new relationship.  )

     And Fade's in and out too was just brilliant too, because something would be wrong with that boy (or he’s just really, really perfect) if he didn't change from arriving at Salvation or from that experience with the Freaks.

     Fade's withdrawal, at the beginning, felt like a little like he was going to pull an Edward. I’m soooooooooo happy it wasn't like that at all. Their romance, to me, seems a little stiff, and Fade grew a tad bit overprotective (possessive is more like it), which got a teeny bit annoying because we all know Deuce can take care of herself (understatement!!!!). 

    Ok, and here’s the reason why I revised the rating: the issue with Stalker.  He’s… interesting.  I’m willing to look past his rapist past, because he didn’t know any better, he’s willing to change (though we will never know sure), and he’s sorry. On the other hand, even if he didn’t know any better, it seems like a weak excuse (I mean, come on.  If the girl was screaming and crying, he should have known something was up) and saying sorry doesn’t really make everything all better.  I’m on the fence with this one. 

   I’m also on the fence with how the author tried to explain how Deuce didn’t know any better about rape, as if it explains her nonchalance toward the matter in the first book (mmm not really nonchalance, but more of the insensitive way Deuce dealt with it, especially toward Teagan).  I didn’t like it at all, because it seems to me the author was responding to all the comments about rape in the previous book in this book.  But who knows? Maybe not.  

    The love triangle had me iffy because I generally don't like them, and the way Stalker's portrayed makes me a little wishy washy about why he wants Deuce.  Deuce thinks it's because she's a capable mate-but I'm not so sure.  He seems to genuinely like her like her, but it may be lust.  I’m going to watch and see how this goes in the last book.  I have a feeling he might die or something though. (PLEASE ANN, DON’T GO THIS OVERLY CLICHÉ ROAD TO FIX PROBLEMS!  I will be super annoyed if that happens and will probably throw my kindle across the room- which would not be good.)

    Overall, I adored this book, and the last bit about how they weren’t zombies but mutants makes me even more anticipated for the next book!

Thanks for reading!~

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 

No comments: