Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Demon King

The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1)
Author: Cinda Williams Chima 
Release Date:  October 6th, 2009
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Genre(s): YA Fantasy   
Pages: 506
*1st book of a series*

Summary (from Goodreads):
One day Han Alister catches three young wizard setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet away from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won’t use it against him. The amulet once belonged to the Demon King, who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece so powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna has her own battle to fight. She’s just returned to court after three years of riding and hunting with her father’s family. Raisa aspires to be like Hanalea, the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But it seems that her mother has other plans for her—plans that include a suitor who goes against everything the Queendom stands for.


The Seven Realms will tremble when the lives of Han and Raisa collide in this stunning page-turner from best-selling author Cinda Williams Chima.

~Spoilers are hidden- just highlight the page to see them!:)~

Review:
I actually really liked this book... until I started noticing the Harry Potter similarities. Like Han and Harry, Micah and Malfoy. The 2 ginger cousins of Micah. The (almost) magical showdown between the two I think this one was actually in the second book, the Exiled Queen). Han not discovering his powers until a certain age and then sent to school to learn about his magic. And instead of wands, we have amulets.

I was never a great fan of Harry Potter (*cowers in corner from glares of Harry Potter Fans*)simply because I didn't like JK rowling's style. (Don't get me wrong: she's a brilliant writer- just not my type of writer I guess lol.) But still, the Harry Potter parallels were striking, even to a non Harry Potter reader. (I just read the first book and then watched the movies.)

My only MAJOR complaint would be Raisa. I just didn't get her. It seemed to me she fell in love with a lot of guys really fast. It doesn't help her case that she can be really irritating at times.  

The rest of the characters, Amon, Han, Firedancer, were all okay but I didn't really connect with any of them. I don't mean to sound like a soul less monster, but when Han's family died, I didn't feel any pang I usually do when anyone dies in a book. It was more of like, "Ok, they died, now what?" (And I'm pretty sure a lot of us knew they were going to die sooner or later- which kind of blunted the blow. But still.)

The plot was intriguing, but the nonstop action and the drama was really tiring at times.  

Overall, I found myself skipping over some parts in the book without regret because, to be honest, some parts were kind of dull. The parts I didn't skip over, I enjoyed a lot.

Simple as that. 

Thanks for reading!~


Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments: