Sunday, June 21, 2015

In the Time of Dragon Moon

22504696
Author: Janet Lee Carey
Release Date:  March 24, 2015
Publisher: Kathy Dawson books
Genre(s): YA Fantasy
Pages:  480
*Book three of a series*

~Spoiler Free~

Summary (Goodreads):
On the southernmost tip of Wilde Island--far from the Dragonswood sanctuary and the Pendragon Castle--live the native Euit people. Uma, who is half Euit and half English, and not fully accepted by her tribe, wants to become a healer like her Euit father. But the mad English queen in the north, desperate for another child, kidnaps Uma and her father and demands that he cure her barrenness. After her father dies, Uma must ensure that the queen is with child by the time of the Dragon Moon, or be burned at the stake.
Terrified and alone, Uma reaches out to her only possible ally: the king's nephew Jackrun, a fiery dragonrider with dragon, fairy, and human blood. Together, they must navigate through a sea of untold secrets, unveil a dark plot spawned long ago in Dragonswood, and find a way to accept all the elements--Euit, English, dragon, and fairy--that make them who they are.

Review: 

In a sentence: I liked the premise, but the writing was a bit awkward.

When I jumped into this book, I didn't know that I'd read books by this author until I looked at the back cover.   I remember not liking them, and while I'm not sure why I didn't like them (it's been a few years, and I sort of skim read more than half of both previous books), I know why I didn't like this one: the writing is awkward.

The style of writing didn't make me feel like I was immersed in a story.  It's kind of hard to explain, but you know those moments where you're so into a book, you forget you're reading words, but just seeing the scenes in your head?

This book didn't make me feel that way.

 I think it's because the writing was... jarring? Unsmooth? Uneven? I'm not sure how to describe the writing, but I think uneven is the closest I can get to it.  That's not to say the book had grammar errors or bad wording- if there were, I didn't notice them, and even if there were, most of the time, it doesn't take away from that experience of being immersed in a book.  It was the content that was so uneven. The story was inconsistent with the characters, and the character development was lacking.  The book would go smoothly for a little while, but then it would jump to a conclusion or jump to a character development.

And lastly, the world building... Eh. I think this was also a part of the whole not really being lost in the book. I was fascinated by the Euits and the mythological side, but as a whole the book was plain.

Final thoughts? I wasn't really feeling it for this book...

Thanks for reading! :)

Rating: 2 out of 5


No comments: