Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sidekick Showcase Wk 1


Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by the awesome Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven

My "sidekick":
Bobbi from Savvy by Ingrid Law
2133795

Bobbi is the teenage older sister of Will Jr.  She's a reluctant tag a long in the adventure to get to Mibs' dad.

So technically, this isn't a December related book, but Christmas is a time to look back at the year and be nostalgic, so I guess this counts xD.

When I first read this book waaaay back in middle school, I adored Mibs (I still do!) and was annoyed by Bobbi.  I mean, by the end, I understood her better and was warming up to her, but Bobbi represented the thing I dreaded the most then: becoming a bubble gum popping teenager. Mibs, on the other hand, was me. She was in that in between stage of becoming a teenager and still being a kid, and I could totally understand that; I didn't want to grow up either, but at the same time, I didn't have a choice, and a small part of me (infinitesimal, but it was still there) wanted to see what the big deal was. Years later, I picked this book back up again, and while I still adore Mibs (she'll always be my favorite!), I understand Bobbi a lot better now, since I AM a bubble-gum popping teenager myself.  Just like how I related with Mibs way back then, I can relate better with Bobbi now, and that's what I love so much about this book: whether you read it when you're 12 or 16, it still resonates with you.  And being a teenager? I think Lill said it best when she said, "Sixteen can feel older and scarier than forty-two..."

:)

So what are your noteworthy sidekicks this week? :)

4 comments:

JezzebellJC said...

You're so right that December is the time for reflection and being nostalgic :D I love that you related with Mibs first and connected with her but have a better understanding of Bobbi now while reading. I have definitely had that happen before and it makes the re-reading process so much more fun. Fantastic quote! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

Kyendwarrior said...

Thanks!:)
Have an awesome Christmas! :D

robgirlbooks said...

This time of year can certainly make you feel nostalgic. For me sixteen was a mighty age with big painful crushes and tricky friendships. Then throw in high school. Great pick. I haven't read this one, but I love that you read it at 12 and at 16.

Kyendwarrior said...

Thanks :) I definitely recommend reading it! :)
Have a great Christmas!:D